What Is The Gospel?
The following short paragraphs answer the question, “What is the gospel?” This is a summary of a true story, but it’s not just another story–it is the story. This story defines us all. It makes us think about who we are and who we can become.
THE CREATION: HOW DID IT ALL BEGIN?
In the beginning, God created everything to be perfect. There was no sickness, disease, or sadness. Everything lived in harmony.
- “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” Genesis 1:1
THE FALL: WHAT WENT WRONG?
Humanity rebelled against a loving God and believed Satan’s lie. Sin entered into the world and into every human heart. Everything is now distorted and broken by sin. Everyone is guilty before God.
THE RESCUE: IS THERE ANY HOPE?
Jesus, who is God, came to rescue people by his life, death, and resurrection. By faith alone in Jesus, anyone can have their sins forgiven and enjoy eternal life with him.
- Jesus said, “The Son of Man came to seek and save the lost.” Luke 19:10
- “Jesus gave his life for our sins, just as God our Father planned, in order to rescue us from this evil world in which we live.” Galatians 1:4
- “But God is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so much, that even though we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead. (It is only by God’s grace that you have been saved!)” Ephesians 2:4-5
THE RESTORATION: WHAT WILL THE FUTURE HOLD?
God will restore everything to the way that it was supposed to be, and those who trust in Jesus will get to enjoy eternity with God in the new heaven and new earth.
- “Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more…. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” Revelation 21:1, 3-4
HOW SHOULD YOU RESPOND TO THIS STORY?
God is inviting you to be part of the story he is writing. He is offering you salvation, which is your invitation to the rescue God offers. You can embrace the rescue of God today by faith. Faith is trusting Jesus alone to save you. So what does true faith in Jesus look like?
- Admit your need for rescue to God
- Ask God to forgive you and help you turn from sin
- Trust Jesus alone to rescue you from your sin
- Begin to follow Jesus Christ as the King of your life by obeying him
- “God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it. For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.”Ephesians 2:8-10